A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM, opera a cappella now available at Albany Records

Monday, August 1, 2022

Interview and a New Song

 

I recently recorded a zoom interview with mezzo soprano Audrey Johnson for her "Of thee I sing" series. I met Audrey when she sang Berta in a production of BARBER OF SEVILLE I was conducting at Shreveport Opera. The format of the interview concludes with singing a song. The song we selected is a new one, "Pondering Twilight." The song is published in Northstar Music's Modern Music for New Singers series. This lyric might be a little dark for a song meant to be sung by a young singer, but young people ponder their fate and future all the time. Thank you, Audrey!

When I see the coming twilight of my days

I hope I still can change my ways

And still learn something new

Let go of enmity

Forge new friendships

Thank those who helped me before they are gone

Apologize to those I have wronged

I hope that I will still bring something valuable to the table when asked

Not just stuff about the good 'ol days, or how it used to be

And when it's time for me to go,

I'll know it and slip gracefully away,

Ready to embrace what's in store

Even if its... nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment